26 October 2023
OF Western Bay of Plenty District
District Plan Committee Meeting No. DP23-1
HELD IN THE Council Chambers, 1484 Cameron Road, Greerton, Tauranga
ON Thursday, 26 October 2023 AT On conclusion of the Council meeting starting at 9.30am
Deputy Mayor J Scrimgeour, Cr G Dally, Mayor J Denyer, Cr A Henry and Cr M Murray-Benge.
Cr M Grainger
J Holyoake (Chief Executive Officer), R Davie (Deputy CEO/General Manager Strategy and Community), G Golding (Governance Manager), N Rutland (Environmental Planning Manager), A Price (Senior Environmental Planner), H Wi Repa (Governance Systems Advisor) and R Leahy (Governance Advisor).
5 members of the public.
V Murphy (Momentum Planning and Design).
Cr Don Thwaites
Cr R Crawford
The Applicant’s representation, Mr Murphy, presented to the Committee, with the following points noted:
· Mr Murphy advised the Committee that the applicant wished to consolidate land around the State Highway 2 and Arawa Road for a housing development.
· There was a need to address a rising demand for housing and future needs for the area.
· The loss of highly productive rural land from this development would be less than 10 hectares.
The Senior Environmental Planner spoke to their report and made the following comments:
· Waka Kotahi and Bay of Plenty Regional Council have raised concerns about the land potentially being outside an area identified for urban growth.
· The Senior Environmental Planner recommended that the Committee accept the Plan Change to enable the public notification process and hear submissions.
The Committee made the following comments:
· The Plan Change faces challenges regarding developing highly productive land and in area that is not envisioned for growth. The Committee was not in a position to make a detailed assessment on the Plan Change.
· The Committee agreed that the Plan Change should go through the public notification process so the arguments ‘for’ and ‘against’ could be heard.
The Deputy Chief Executive/General Manager Strategy and Community noted that the only decision required by the Committee at this stage was to accept or reject the Plan Change proposal. If required, a decision on an Independent Hearings Panel would be made at a later date.
Moved: Mayor J Denyer
Seconded: Cr M Murray-Benge
1. That the Senior Environmental Planner’s report dated 26 October 2023 titled ‘Private Plan Change 95 Pencarrow Estate: Decision to adopt, accept or reject the plan change request or determine it as a resource consent’ be received.
2. That the report relates to an issue that is considered to be of low significance in terms of Council’s Significance and Engagement Policy.
3. That Council accepts the below option:
a. That Council accepts the private plan change request in accordance with clause 25(2)(b) of schedule 1 of the RMA.
i. That the private plan change then be publicly notified and that notification commence as soon as practicable.
The minutes of this meeting were confirmed at the Council meeting held on 23 November 2023.